Sunday, June 28, 2009

movie weekend

Well, I hope you all had a great weekend, it was beautiful, sunny and Hot here! Of course, we were mostly inside, mostly.
Poor Richard's (not almanac)... Back was out, and he really needed to just Veg., rest, read, and watch Tv....but, since I didn't feel like watching 24 hours of Sci-Fi TV, I decided to get some Redbox dvds.

So, I got 4.
1.) The Day the Earth Stood Still, with Keanu Reeves. Totally sucked, I knew it would, but Rich wanted to watch it anyway, so I got it for him...he said it was ok, a little boring. The original was a masterpiece, why do they always mess with perfection? Klatu Verada Nickto.

2.)Revolutionary Road. This one we both liked, although it was a little slow at times. I loved the 50's style sets, cars, & shots of NYC. Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet were excellent & charming together. Their 'fragile harmony' of being 50's suburbanites, the perfect couple on the outside and hopelessly unhappy inside is fractured, and all along you know that something is not gonna end happy. To that end, it reminds me that women absolutely did not have the same choices as we do today, not the same anything. People thought they were crazy if they wanted a life beyond wife & mother, and they were recommended to see psychiatrists. Young women today (some of the ones I know,) take these changes & choices for granted, 'cause they never knew any other way, but seeing this might open their eyes a little, maybe.
I really think it is a must-see, but not at all a feel happy movie.

3.) Defiance. First of all, let me just say, "Daniel Craig."
And then, Liev Schreiber. Their 2 hulky personas fill the screen. So, even if the movie was not great, (which is not true, it is great,) you've got these 2 wonderful actors, acting their hearts out. Tons of intense drama, 'heavy hitting action', and a TRUE Story make it amazing, historically relevant, & empowering. We loved it, even if there was a lot of crying going on, on my part.

4.) Rachel Getting Married. Anne Hathaway is superb. Deep, full, sad, funny, desolate, & complex, with lots of realistic family angst, and rich music. Definitely See it, and get blown away.

Sorry this is so long, it was a weird choice of movies....mostly sad, some hopeful, but some great performances, and truly riveting stories.
Peace Out.
xxx jani

No comments:

Post a Comment

drop me a line!