Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mad for Mimi

Mimi Kirchner's dolls are absolutely beautiful.
Recently because of her amazing work, she has given me the inspiration to make my own dolls.
I never thought I would want to make dolls. I always painted, did mosaics, lots of crafts, and I actually thought people who made 'art dolls' were haughty and pretentious, but now I think they're underappreciated and extraordinary. Exploring so many art medium and techniques, these artists often combine wit, magic, whimsy, kitch, feminism, and relevance. The dolls or figures, become metaphors for the artistic id. They often combine sculpture, painting, sewing, and mixed media to tell inventive and imaginative stories through their creations.
Mimi's dolls are both playful and vintage-looking, familiar and exciting, so well crafted and designed, to me they are here and now, and always.
I hope I can summon some of my own creative juice to make my own dolls, and use the colors in my paint box that are me.


Mimi was featured on Etsy last week, Take a look.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much! What a wonderful post- I can't wait to see any dolls you make!

    ReplyDelete

drop me a line!